Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Help IN THE DARK Help Appalachian Kids

Those of you who read IN THE DARK on a regular basis (and, surprisingly, there are more than a few of you) are familiar with my frequent appeals to click on our ads (in the sidebar). You are probably also aware that I have pledged any and all proceeds from any of the ads on this site to the Big Laurel Learning Center in Naugatuck, West Virginia. I began doing summer volunteer work with the folks at Big Laurel several years ago when I taught Communication Arts at Molloy College in Rockville Centre, New York. You can read about some of my experiences here.

The Molloy students run a summer camp for kids in the mountains of coal-mining Mingo County. Faculty and staff help the students and do various painful acts of physical labor (I am both joking and NOT joking right now). I am told that $25.00 subsidizes one youngster for one week of summer camp.

The Google ads generate money only when they are clicked. In other words, you have to open an ad in order for any money to go to Big Laurel. It is NOT necessary to buy anything, only to look at the ads. So far, I have generated only about $55.00 for Big Laurel, which I intend to match when I go down there to join the Molloy folks in about two weeks. Please, CLICK ON OUR GOOGLE ADS TO MAKE SOME MONEY FOR A WORTHY CAUSE IN THESE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS.

It's a different story for the IN THE DARK store on Cafe Press. Profits, and ONLY profits, from sales of IN THE DARK merchandise will go to Big Laurel. I've made only pennies so far on that one (hey, those IN THE DARK t-shirts, tote bags, and mugs are pretty cool!), but whatever I make in the future will go to Big Laurel.

Also, the Amazon links will bring you to Amazon.com, and it is not necessary to buy only the linked books. Any book, music, or movie you buy through this blog will raise money for Big Laurel.

Finally, several very generous people have asked about--and have made--direct donations to Big Laurel. Any amount--$5, $10, $25, $100--helps these good people help the folks in this Appalachian mountain community. Send your contributions directly to:
Gretchen Shaffer
Big Laurel Learning Center
PO Box 243
Naugatuck WV 25685


Thanks for anything you do, and all the good you do.

No comments: