Monday, April 11, 2005

The connections are so clear it's creepy

As I leafed through the Chicago Tribune on Sunday, I came across an article that read:

"The Bush administration is renewing a push to research and develop a new family of lower-yield nuclear weapons, including the controversial "bunker buster," or Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator, that could be used against the underground weapons labs..."
Now when I read this article I knew that I had heard about this before somewhere but I just couldn't put my finger on it. It was a Twilight Zone moment to be sure, like I had just woken from a coma and I was the same but everything else was different. Then it hit me... This was straight out of the PNAC's playbook.

"In addition, there may be a need to develop a new family of nuclear weapons designed to address new sets of military requirements, such as would be required in targeting the very deep underground, hardened bunkers that are being built by many of our potential adversaries. "
This quote comes from the Project for a New American Century's report from September of 2000 entitled Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategy, Forces, and Resources for a New Century.

Communism may have fallen but building weapons like this ensures that the arms race will continue far into the future.

No comments: